A personal recount of a life within Berlin, Venice and the EU

Monday, June 05, 2006

The book I began last night and ended early this morning

Stories are handed down and the thuth is cheated. As the common sense says. And probably there is somebody who thinks that this means that the thruth is not strong enough. But he is wrong. From my point of view, after all the lies are told and forgotten, the truth still stands there. It goes nowhere and does not change in a moment. It cannot be corrupted, as much as you cannot salt the salt. It cannot be corrupted because it is what it is. It is the thing we are talking about. I heard somebody who compared it to a rock - maybe in the Bible - and I would agree with that. But the truth will stay here when the rock won´t. I am sure that somebody would not agree with this idea. A lot of people, actually. But I have never managed to understand what these people believe in.

Cormac McCarthy, No Country for Old Men, p. 100.

No comments: