A personal recount of a life within Berlin, Venice and the EU

Friday, April 14, 2017

Afternoon treats


I visited Concerto today, a rather big record store in central Amsterdam...

...my interest for old tunes recorded on Blue Note Records started growing again....
Ergo I have been reading about the 1500 editions and started listening to the unknown ones among them.
Meaning The Three Sounds, The New York - Detroit Junction and Jutta Hipp at the Hickory House so far on my playlist tonight....


Her biography sounds way more intense than the dedicated Wikipedia page tells...
...anyway one episode recalled an asshole-ish Art Blakey and that brought me to stumble over this one very telling quote by him

"In 1947 (...) we took a trip to Africa. I was supposed to stay there three months and I stayed two years because I wanted to live among the people and find out just how they lived and -- about the drums especially." quote

I want to own that state of mind but I ain't no Art Blakey, am I?



No comments: